Saturday, May 7, 2011

Asparagus Frittata

Farm- fresh egg frittata with asparagus and goat cheese
  I know they said this would happen, but the older I get the longer it takes my body to recover after a night of steady drinking.  Used to be I’d barely feel it, but nowadays it’s all I can do to drag my ass to the couch to lay, let alone put on pants.  On mornings like these I am pretty much useless, and I crave a tall glass of fresh squeezed OJ and a plate of eggs to restore me to normalcy.  Frittata is a great quick dish, just stir together and throw in the oven- it’s ready by the time your Advil kicks in.
  I had a beautiful bunch of asparagus from the market and some farm fresh eggs and a Vermont goat cheese from Barnyard, but this recipe will work with whatever goodies you choose to throw in.


Asparagus Frittata
1 bunch           asparagus
2 strips             bacon
1 T                   butter
2 cloves           garlic
1 ½                  salt
8                      eggs
1/3 cup             heavy cream
                        Goat cheese
   There’s nothing tasty about dense, dry eggs- I wanted an airy texture so I cooked the omelet in a pretty little Le Creuset that PJ got as a gift from Matt, his chef at Nobu 57.  The heavy cast iron is fitted with a tight lid that creates a soufflé effect on the eggs, puffing them up and resulting in a lovely light and fluffy frittata.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Coat the bottom of the pan with a little olive oil and heat on medium flame- cut bacon into strips and cook it for a few minutes until it starts to get crispy (skip this step if you want to keep it veggie).  Add butter, toss in the garlic and cut asparagus and sauté for about 5 mins until it begins to get tender.

- In the meantime, crack the eggs in a large bowl and add the heavy cream, salt and pepper.  Whisk until they are all combined and slightly frothy.

- Turn the heat up a bit and crumble the goat cheese on top of the asparagus, then pour the eggs over.  Cook for a minute, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and put in the oven.



- Bake for 15-25 minutes, until the frittata is light and the center is set, finish under the broiler until the top browns a bit.  Let it sit for 5 minutes, then flip the pot onto a plate and serve warm, or refrigerate and enjoy it cold for tomorrow's lunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment